26 APR 2011 - Judd looking for a Doorslammer Grand Slam
Judd looking for a Doorslammer Grand Slam
Top Doorslammer drag racer, Robin Judd, is looking to win the sports most elusive prize, the Grand Slam.
No Top Doorslammer racer has ever won the Grand Slam, made up of drag racing’s prestigious big three marquee events – three-day events that stage all (Australian National Drag Racing Association) ANDRA Pro Series Group One and Sportsman categories – The Nationals, Nitro Champs and Winternationals in the same season.
Perth-based Judd is the only Doorslammer racer who can win the Grand Slam after winning the first leg, the season-opening Australian Nationals last September at Sydney Dragway.
However, Judd needs to win this weekend’s Nitro Champs, also at Sydney Dragway from Friday, April 29 to Sunday, May 1, to have a chance at winning the Grand Slam.
It is the second time Judd has had a chance to win the Grand Slam after winning the 2009 Nationals. But then luck eluded Judd when he went out in the semi final at last year’s Nitro Champs and then lost in the final at the Winternationals at Willowbank near Brisbane.
“To win drag racing’s three majors in the same season would certainly be an achievement. No Top Doorslammer racer has ever done that,” Judd said.
“We would like to win the Nitro Champs this year. The Aeroflow/Mickey Thompson/William Buck team really want to leave Sydney after next weekend with two legs of the Grand Slam in the bank and with maximum championship points from the round.
“We have had some issues with the car’s consistency this season, keeping it glued to the track and in a straight line. The engine is making more power than ever so we keep playing with the setup in an attempt to use both to go faster. I’m confident we can get a handle on it all and when we do, look out!” Judd said.
Another achievement Judd would like to keep intact is that he has so far qualified for 22 consecutive Top Doorslammer championship events. The most since the ANDRA Pro Series came into play.
With 21 Top Doorslammer racers vying for a spot in the Nitro Champs eight-car championship field, Judd concedes there is a lot riding on this weekend’s event.
If Judd qualifies, his qualifying streak continues. If he goes to his third final in four events at the Sydney track and wins, Judd will have two legs of the Grand Slam and will also keep his ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer championship aspirations alive.
“There is certainly a lot riding on this event, but the Aeroflow/Mickey Thompson/William Buck team is certainly up to the task. If we make the field the qualifying streak continues. If we go to the final and win, the Grand Slam and Top Doorslammer championship are both alive,” Judd said.
In the ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer championship series, Judd has 295 points, 33 points behind leader John Zappia (328pts). Second is Mark Belleri (323pts), followed by Maurice Fabietti (317pts).
Robin Judd quick facts
• Quickest-ever pass; 5.822sec at Perth Motorplex, October 31, 2009.
• Fastest pass, 249.31mph (401.13kph) at Willowbank, January 3, 2009.
• Won Top Doorslammer at the 2009 and 2010 Australian Nationals (Sydney Dragway) and 2009 Goldenstates (Perth Motorplex), Adelaide 2001 and 2000 Tin Tops (Willowbank).
• Former Top Doorslammer National Elapsed Time record holder – 5.868sec set at Perth Motorplex, November 16, 2008.
• Has held the National Elapsed Time record on three occasions.
• Has recorded 55 five-second Top Doorslammer passes, including 22 in the 5.8sec zone.
• The first Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a 6.1-second pass – 6.179sec at Willowbank, June 9, 2000
• The fifth Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a 6.0-second pass – 6.095sec at Perth Motorplex, December 3, 2004
• The sixth Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a five-second pass – 5.947sec at Willowbank, June 7, 2008.
• The first Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a 5.8sec pass – 5.868sec at Perth Motorplex, November 16, 2008. Only four racers have recorded 5.8sec passes in Australia.
• One-half of Australia’s first-ever side-by-side five-second pass (Judd 5.946/242.20 – John Zappia 5.858/246.58) at Willowbank, April 19, 2009.
• One half of Australia’s fastest side-by-side Top Doorslammer pass (Robin Judd, 249.21mph – Mark Belleri, 249.07mph) at Willowbank, June 12, 2010
• Competed in 73 of the 79 championship series events staged to date.
• One of only four racers to compete every year since the Australian Top Doorslammer championship series started in 1999.
• Second on the all-time Top Doorslammer Championship point’s ladder with 4431 points.
• Three-time winner of Willowbank Raceway Best Paired Run by an Out of Division Racer.
• Has so far qualified for 22 consecutive ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer championship events.